If this mission statement resonates with you, AAUW Ashland may be right for you. We are a group of smart, socially conscientious women who are committed to advancingequity for women and girls.
- Since 1996 our branch has been giving scholarships to women who attend Southern Oregon University (SOU) and Rogue Community College (RCC). We estimate that we have given out over $300,000 during the past twenty one years. We also provide a scholarship to the National Conference for College Women Student Leaders (NCCWSL).
- There are women in our community who need a safe place to live until they are able to get back on their feet. One of our Community Projects is Women In Need (WIN). We have an annual fundraising project to benefit victims of domestic abuse at the Dunn House Shelter. Some of our members enjoy mentoring young girls by being their Lunch Buddies and our branch has an annual Christmas Fund Raiser for the Maslow Project (homeless teenage girls attending school).
- In May 2019, we held our bi-annual Upscale Sale event at the Belleview Grange. Our members got to clean out their closets, the community got good bargains, and our scholarship recipients got the proceeds. We raised over $14,000 for these women with this sale!
- Our Public Policy Team has focused on a number of issues over the years such as Bullying and Sexual Assault in our schools. This year we are taking up the fight for “economic security for women” by working with our state legislators on a number of bills. Several of our members attend Lobby day each February.
- Our branch also likes to educate our own members by facilitating monthly meetings that feature speakers on topics pertinent to our mission and our community.
Our Branch’s Interest Groups grew out of AAUW’s commitment to lifelong learning. They encourage ongoing intellectual growth and long-lasting friendships. All interest groups are free of charge and open to all members. We have several types of book groups; music and play lovers groups; dining, games, knitting, and genealogy groups. We have something for everyone!
Check out our calendar on our home page and join us at our next Branch meeting (held monthly). Once you meet us we think you’ll want to join our group!
We Reached for the Stars– And Succeeded!
Our branch is participating in the AAUW Five Star program that encourages cohesion between AAUW National and its affiliates, and rewards branches for aligning their work with the AAUW strategic plan and initiatives that bolster the critical mission of advancing gender equity for women and girls. Stars are awarded for achieving measurable goals towards these objectives.
- In February our branch received its first star for Public Policy and Research.
- On June 19 we received our third star for hosting programs related to AAUW’s strategic plan during 2020-2021 (pre-pandemic!). Special thanks to our creative program chairs, Janet Troy and Kathleen Mackris!
- On July 1 we earned the final two stars for Communications & External Relations, and Governance and Sustainability. Kudos to all of our members who made this achievement happen!
Our Branch was highlighted in AAUW National’s recent newsletter and on the National website. Take a look at this!